Database Engineer - Permanent - Remote flexiblibility
Disrupt the status quo. It's a simple statement that tells you everything about our ambition. It's about thinking what money could be, instead of what it's always been. Thinking this way gives us so many opportunities to make our customers happier. We're not like other banks - and we want you to help us be even more exceptional.
In our quest to make things better, we never stop looking at how every bit of banking works. We sweat the small stuff because we know it makes a big difference for our customers. But at the heart of this are our people - who we couldn't do without. Our bold and brilliant colleagues who bring their A game every single day. The question is - are you ready to bring yours?
This role will be based within the Application and Data Platform Unit in IT Operations. The position is for a Database Engineer who will be a key member of the team responsible for supporting the Group's UK distributed database estate.
You'll work closely with other staff from IT Operations and beyond including 3rd parties to ensure the database is estate functions as required alongside collaborating with project and delivery teams to ensure that change within the database environments is managed and controlled effectively and safely.
Day to day you'll…
- Support and problem solve on production databases including undertaking regular checks on the database estate and progressing any subsequent actions required to protect / restore services (in hours and as part of an on-call rota out with core hours) as a priority alongside supporting the databases within one of our testing environments wherever required.
- Work with project and release teams to support changes required to existing databases within the estate.
- Liaise with and learn from the Senior Database Engineers and Lead Database Engineers within the Unit to grow your knowledge and understanding of the database estate and related technologies including but not limited to Oracle, SQL, OCI and Exadata.
- Our work is highly specialised, high profile and fast paced, so you will be expected to self-manage in a professional and proactive manner in conjunction with your Team Lead who will assign your tasks.
The role is all about…
- Thinking "outside the box".
- Supporting live service through proactive identification of risk, swift resolution of live issues and proposing appropriate fixes/improvements for future.
- Working closely with Projects where required to ensure solutions meet the organisation's strategic needs and don't introduce risk to the database estate.
- Collaborating with internal and external parties in order to provide excellent customer service
- Improving our processes through process automation, innovation and continuous improvement.
To be successful you'll need to bring…
- A positive "can-do" attitude alongside excellent interpersonal skills.
- Desire to grow and learn on the job alongside progressing self-study to increase knowledge and experience of database administration alongside related technologies / platforms i.e. Exadata / OCI etc.
- Strong technical background and strong decision-making skills ensuring risk is always considered.
- Ability to work on own initiative taking responsibility for team deliverables aligned to you alongside working with colleagues taking on board guidance / direction wherever required to support the best outcomes being delivered for the Bank and its customers.
- Evidence of ability to prioritise and carry out multiple activities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- ITIL Service Management awareness (Change, Incident & Problem Management processes).
- Experience of supporting Production services.
We'd love you to have experience of...
- Supporting Oracle databases (versions up to and including 19c).
- Supporting a Production database estate.
- Oracle Data Guard, Oracle Cloud Control, Oracle RAC with ASM and Multi-tenancy.
- Working with SQL databases.
- Undertaking database patching and / or upgrades.
- Oracle RMAN backup and Recovery.
- Oracle Linux, Red Hat Linux, AIX, and Solaris Operating System.
- Oracle Tuning and Optimisation skills.
- RAT and compression.
- Supporting databases residing upon an Exadata appliance (Cloud at customer) including patching and maintenance.
- Golden Gate.
- Awareness of Flashback technologies.
- OCI knowledge / awareness.
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the "To be successful you'll need to bring" section above, but the rest is just our wish list, so please don't let that put you off applying, we'd love to hear from you!
What's in it for you? RED HOT Rewards of course…
- 38.5 days annual leave for all colleagues (including bank holidays and pro rata if part-time).
- Up to five extra paid well-being days per year.
- 20 weeks paid, gender neutral family leave (52 weeks in total) for expectant parents and those looking to adopt.
- Option to receive up to a 13% pension contribution.
- Six months sick leave and six months half pay.
- A digital-first colleague experience.
- Ability to work anywhere in the UK.
And the great news is, all these benefits are available to colleagues from day one!