Engineering Team Lead - Canberra - Permanent
PLEASE NOTE - THIS ROLE REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE FULL WORKING RIGHTS IN AUSTRALIA
Salary: $130-140k per day including super
About the role:
The Staff Team Lead will be managing a team of highly skilled Machine Learning Scientists that develop occupant monitoring features using state-of-the-art machine learning methods (eg NN, CNNs, RNNs), traditional computer vision techniques, or often a combination of both. The right person will contribute to project planning activities, working with Project Managers and Technical Project Managers. There are also ample opportunities to work closely with internal and external customers, where part of the process is about educating technical teams about how features work.
You will be responsible for:
- The primary responsibility for this role is to act as the team manager for a small (5-10) person team:
- Provide support, guidance, and feedback for team members.
- Help the team improve over time. Foster and nurture a culture of continuous improvement/growth mindset.
- Ensure alignment with company, team, and personal goals.
- Communicate clear pathways for career development and growth.
- Support training activities or other ways of improving personal productivity.
- Help to drive efficiency improvements in processes and ways of working.
- Recruit high quality team members as needed to support project resource requests.
- Respond to feedback such as internal employee survey results and make proactive changes over time.
- Have regular 1:1 syncs with each team member.
- Work with the formal performance feedback system, partnering with our People and Culture Team.
- Work with Project Managers to understand people/head count needs over time.
- Assist with budgeting activities.
- Produce technical documentation for various audiences including both internal and external.
We value the breadth and depth of experience that our people bring to their work. We are seeking people with a good mix of technical competency and personal capability. Specifically, we are looking for people with:
- A Bachelor's Degree in a related field, or appropriate industry experience
- 3+ years of experience leading a small team of highly skilled technical individual contributors.
- 2+ years of technical experience/individual contributor experience in a related field.
- Experience presenting technical content in different styles of meetings.
- An understanding of machine learning concepts such as CNNs, RNNs, etc.
- Experience with machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch or similar.
- Experience writing code in Python and/or C++, ideally in a commercial environment.
- Evidence of producing high-quality research outcomes and in disseminating effectively to academic and industry settings.
- Understanding of traditional computer vision and/or image processing techniques.
- Experience working on research in a commercial environment.
- Experience with practical data science or statistical analysis.
- Experience explaining and discussing technical topics with varied audiences. For example, talking with customers, internal engineers, or highly technical peers
Please submit your CV asap and I will get back to you with more details if suitable.