Lead Civil Engineer - Distribution
Fort Worth, TX
12+ Month Contract
We're growing our Underground design and construction business and have opportunities for experienced and motivated industry professionals to join us in our Dallas and Fort Worth offices as we continue our journey to help make our clients successful. We have a specific opportunity for an experienced underground engineer to join our transmission and distribution team. We are addressing projects across the country that range widely in complexity and voltage. We are supporting our clients as they take on new challenges to rebuild their electric grid to support the challenges of tomorrow. With our EPC team, we are able to provide solutions that overcome these challenges in an expedited fashion and provide opportunities for our team to experience the entire project lifecycle. With our client's needs in this area expanding rapidly, we are looking for leaders to join our team and help drive the vision for tomorrow's electric grid.
The Lead Civil Engineer will work on a variety of 2.4kV to 345kV underground utility transmission and distribution projects. The Lead Civil Engineer will work with a project team to implement effective and creative solutions for the grid according to budget constraints, design factors and client needs. This position will require interface with utility clients and collaboration with multiple offices. Responsibilities may include but not limited to:
- Lead design teams of 2 to 10 engineers and designers and work closely with construction, procurement and permitting teams to execute underground transmission and distribution construction projects.
- Work closely with local and national leadership to develop new clients and continue building relationships with existing clients.
- Support business development efforts with new clients across North America.
- Support thought leadership including conference attendance, marketing and other internal initiatives.
- Prepare and develop distribution and transmission voltage construction packages for underground projects, including manhole and equipment installation, conduit and duct bank design, feeder replacement, cable replacement, and new feeder design.
- Develop routing analysis for the design of low to high-voltage distribution and transmission lines using CADD/GIS design and mapping software.
- Determine construction feasibility through route studies, conflict analysis, and construction cost estimating.
- Perform field inspections, measurements or calculations for overhead and underground electric facilities on public and private utility systems.
- Leverage commercially available simulation software and other tools to evaluate different scenarios and make informed recommendations to the client.
- Produce reports and visualizations to communicate technical results and interpretation of trends; effectively communicate findings and recommendations to all areas of the business.
- Work closely with the project team to ensure deliverables and services are being provided to client's satisfaction.
- Work closely with the project team to ensure that projects are following internal QA/QC guidelines.
- Perform QA/QC reviews of studies, reports, and construction design packages.
- Prepare calculations and assist with equipment specifications, such as cable pulling calculations, voltage drop, pole loading.
- Prepare proposals, engineering/project cost estimates, and execution schedules.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less experienced staff members.
- Regularly meet and correspond with clients, subcontractors, or outside personnel.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Civil or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering a plus.
- 7 years civil engineering experience. EPC project experience preferred.
- Professional Engineering License (PE) preferred.
- Expert knowledge in standard engineering techniques and procedures. Strong computer skills (e.g. AutoCAD, MicroStation, BIM (Revit), Civil 3D, PLS, PLS-CADD, RISA-3D, MathCADD), and/or hydraulic, hydrologic, pavement, civil analysis programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with leading the discipline design for large projects and delegating work tasks to team members. Ability to lead execution of work and resolve issues in a team environment.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills, ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment.
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform quality reviews for detailed engineering documents and specifications.
- Ability to travel.