Director, or Associate Director, Fermentation
We are currently seeking a motivated and accomplished Director, or Associate Director, Fermentation with a strong background in microbial fermentation process development to join our team. You will lead a team of scientists and associates to support the development and scale-up of the fermentation process for partner molecules/biologics. You will also play a critical role in the continued development of our core technology at the fermentation scale. With your passion for scientific innovation and adept technical skills, you are energized by working in a dynamic environment. As a part of our scientific leadership team in an integral role, you will help shape the direction of company culture and scientific focus.
- Assume primary responsibility for strategic direction, experimental design, and oversight of fermentation process development activities.
- Conceptualize and coordinate the execution of fermentation experiments across multiple scales (1ml, 250mL and 30L), using state-of-the-art equipment.
- Develop suitable scale-down models to enable high-throughput strain screening in deep-well plates.
- Oversee and develop a team of scientists and associates. Mentor, and inspire scientists and junior members.
- Communicate technical progress to senior management and partners.
- Perform data analysis of scientific results and present internally to team members and senior management.
- Recruit scientific and technical talent to grow the fermentation team.
- Manage multiple independent experiments concurrently, including maintaining effective data capture, technical protocols, and analysis.
- Champion new development of our core technology and coordinate cross- functional collaborative projects.
- Ensure good data capture practices are observed by the team.
- Drive change through our scientific leadership team.
- Ph.D., or M.S., in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Microbiology or related field
- 4+ years of directly relevant experience in biotechnology industry setting
- Experience successfully managing a team of at least 4 researchers for 2+ years
- Demonstrated proficiency developing scalable processes and performing tech transfer
- Highly preferred: Experience developing fermentation processes with E. coli for the production of recombinant proteins
- Highly preferred: Understanding of statistics and statistical software (JMP)
- Preferred: Deep understanding of bench-scale fermentation units (Sartorius, Applikon, DASGIP) and associated control software