We are recruiting a Director / Senior Director of Business Development to join our client's (CRO) Business Development team. In this role, you will evaluate and establish strategic partnerships in Western Europe with a focus on the UK. You will join the BD Team commercializing their assets and technologies and creating high impact and high value strategic R&D partnerships.
You will be part of the European BD team and will undertake business development activities within the territory. You will regularly interface with the Scientific Operation Teams, Therapeutic Area leads, Alliance Management, and Senior Management, and play a critical role in helping to identify, evaluate, and translate opportunities in the marketplace. You must be able to create both short-term and long-term value, establishing mutually beneficial relationships with Partners. You should have experience and understand the requirements and challenges of drug discovery and development. This position will focus on the partnering of the company's integrated discovery capabilities.
- Drive the overall business development strategy within the territory
- Further establish the company as the partner of choice within the territory
- Grow new business revenue with existing Partners and establish new business relationships
- Secure and retain business for the company through professional, consultative, pro-active activities directed at decision-makers and decision influencers at new Partners
- Position the company as a primary or preferred provider for all discovery and development services with a focus on supporting the company's discovery services
- Interact with scientific operations and marketing to close new business and develop long-term relationships
Key Competencies Required:
- A deep understanding of the drug discovery and development process
- Experience negotiating complex deals
- Experience working with and leading cross-functional teams to drive creative solutions
- Demonstrated network within large pharma, biotech, and VCs
- Ability to assess partner needs and develop recommendations
- Demonstrated account management and successful track-record in structuring, negotiating and executing deals with various life science Partners
- Strong ability to read, analyse, and interpret data and produce reports and documents to support closing arguments.
- Ability to identify leads and assess the value of new business/product opportunities
- Solid technical background coupled with professional business development experience
- Minimum BSc, MSc or PhD preferable, in a Life Sciences discipline
- Preference for 5-10 years technical experience in a pharmaceutical/biotech or management consulting company and at least 5 years proven successful business development experience
- Demonstrated record of success in business development including large and complex partnership and/or licensing transactions
- Demonstrable understanding of the drug discovery and development process