My client has an urgent need for an experienced Head of Web for an initial 6 month contract.
The Head of Development is responsible for setting and leading the development technology, hiring and developing teams and supporting their successfully delivery.
Required is a passion for technology and how software should be built along with a focus on innovation and building products that make a difference.
1.Make our technology great
- Define the strategy for the technology area and lead on the successful implemention across multiple teams
- Define, communicate and lead the development technology used. Expertise is required in at least one area (defined below) with a broader expertise desirable.
- Thought leadership in technology direction that is measured not just in the communication of ideas but in practical creation of technology (e.g. demonstrate how new frameworks can be created through producing working software)
- Support the culture of innovation through promoting new ideas and mentoring innovation time and Hackathons
2.Build and enable a great development team
- Provide the leadership to build and scale teams and build the next level of leaders in the organisation
- Recognise that of primary importance is that our developers are enabled to build great technology. This means understanding what is needed and providing the leadership to make sure it is in place.
- Manage the performance of the team, develop high performance and take action needed for low performance
- Build the team, understand what skills are needed and develop and hire people to achieve this through focusing on attracting and retaining the talent needed
- Provide leadership that promotes our expertise in technology through internal Guilds, external Meet Ups, speaking at Conferences
3.Ensure the delivery of technology
- Ensure the technology delivered meets the required standards/frameworks and it fit for purpose
- Actively promote technology that provides delivery agility through clearly decoupled architectures and full automation to production
- Lead on great engineering and process - be clear on what great looks like and provide the challenge and support to teams to get there
- Provide technical decision making where required and act as an escalation point in support of development teams
- Maintain a culture of delivery focus across the teams by creating urgency, focus and ensuring business goals are met