We are currently looking for a Metrology Engineer located in the UK.
Main duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops inspection strategies and new inspection techniques to meet business needs.
- Exercises independent judgment on selection of inspection equipment for use on new and established processes through the process of technical assessment and analysis.
- Provides technical support for project planning, development, installation, validation and modification of inspection assets.
- Serves as technical expert for metrology inspection.
- Interprets drawings featuring Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5 to identify product inspection requirements.
- Leads development of inspection fixtures to ensure minimum measurement error during inspection.
- Set-up data collection parameters for inspection measurements where required.
- Write/ edit/ assesses programs utilized in manufacturing using CMM programming platforms like PC-DMIS, COSMO and/ or CALYPSO
- Facilitates, encourage and coordinate continuous improvement projects with respect to inspection activities.
- Introduction of standard inspection platforms on key site projects like (vision systems, contact/non-contact inspection systems.
- Evaluate calibration frequencies, gauge life, fit for purpose on inspection equipment.
- Generates the inspection reporting per customer requirements.
- Performs 1st Article inspection of newly developed product.
- Inspect complex machined fixtures, and parts using advanced measuring and layout instruments and equipment.
- Participates in design reviews on cross-functional teams to ensure that conformance to specifications, inspect ability, reliability, and quality system objectives are met.
- Assist engineers with qualification and validation of new or changed tooling or parts.
- Prepare detailed inspection documentation such as written descriptions of inspection results including deviations from engineering specifications.
- Work from written or verbal instructions, detailed engineering drawings, and 3D models.
- Writing of work instructions for inspection techniques relating to standard platforms for associates.
- Development of validation approach in conjunction with QA for inspection platforms.
- Training of QA/Manufacturing personnel to execute measurement method/equipment.
Qualification and Essential Experience:
- Experience in selection and introduction of inspection equipment
- Proficient in set-up and operation of inspection equipment
- Proficient in metrology methods/technology
- Proficiency in writing and/ or editing CMM programs (PC-DMIS/ COSMOS or CALYPSO)
- Proficient in reading/interpreting engineering drawings and the application of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5
- Proficient in mathematical applications
- Algebra, Geometry, & Trigonometry
- Proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Knowledge of mechanical inspection methods and tools used to determine product acceptance
- Ability to investigate and learn new technologies within metrology
- Degree in Quality / Manufacturing / Engineering
- Minimum 3 years in CMM programming platforms like PC-DMIS/ COSMOS and/ or CALYPSO programming experience desirable.
- Experience of laser scanning techniques and other inspection technologies.
- Knowledge of 21 CFR 820, 21 CFR 11 and European regulations associated with the medical device industry
- High understanding of GMP
- Working knowledge of Quality Systems (FDA/ISO) within a regulated environment.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis software.