Senior Medical Adviser, Ophthalmology
- To develop, manage and lead trusted peer-to-peer relationships with top level UK thought leaders.
- Execution of the medical component of the Brand Strategies, delivery of internal training and proper documentation of medical activities.
- To lead on medical initiatives and projects fully independently with minimal support, including investigator-initiated requests (IIRs), advisory board meetings, medical training, symposia etc
- To lead and co-ordinate medical advisory input to phase IV and local real world evidence studies and generation of publications.
- To act as a leader within the brand team with proficient, proven cross-functional working ability, directing strategy and accountable for medical decisions and strategic plans
- To act as either final medical signatory or AQP (non-promotional materials only) as appropriate to qualifications and the ABPI Code
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
- It is expected that the role will contain a high degree of customer facing contact (minimum 2 working days per week) and will carry medical responsibility for liaison with specific high-priority centres such as Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.
- Help guide the strategic direction in therapeutic areas through design and management of phase IV studies in conjunction with Local Studies Unit and TA head/Medical Director Ophthalmology, and driving publications as appropriate.
- Act as member of the multidisciplinary brand team, with particular reference to real world data generation and publication, and analysis of competitor data, distilling clear content from the wealth of scientific data
- To lead and take full responsibility for medical input into in marketing and sales operations including product, strategy, campaign development, P.R., issues management and training
- Help guide the strategic direction in therapeutic areas
- To lead on and take full responsibility for medical input into in the dissemination of balanced, substantiated and relevant information about the Company's products on request to the medical and pharmacy professions, and to Company's (Medical, Marketing, Sales) personnel.
- To write or otherwise contribute to the generation of scientific publications
- To lead on medical initiatives fully independently with minimal support, including investigator-initiated requests (IIRs), advisory board meetings, medical training, symposia etc
- To input to health technology appraisals as required by the business
- To act as a leader within the brand team with proficient, proven cross-functional working ability, directing strategy and fully accountable for medical decisions and strategic plans
- To have a fully developed network of tier 1 thought leaders, with expert knowledge of the NHS and UK reimbursement and clinical environment, with particular emphasis on Moorfields Eye Hospital as the largest and most strategically important UK retina centre.
- Approve materials in line with ABPI Code of Practice as appropriate to qualifications i.e. either medical signatory for certification of promotional material, or AQP for non-promotional inspection
Who you are:
- Either life science degree with higher qualification (e.g. Masters, PhD) in a relevant subject AND considerable medical department experience within the pharmaceutical industry; OR medical degree/pharmacist with previous medical department experience within the pharmaceutical industry or within a medicines regulatory body or similar.
- Experience in driving and managing the medical strategy for various brands in the pharmaceutical industry. Ophthalmology experience an advantage.
- Clinical or other biomedical research experience; able to interact authoritatively with key stakeholders and investigators.
- Excellent presentation and teaching skills and to represent the company in a professional manner at medical, scientific and public events.
- Independent, self-driven, pro-active, extrovert and dynamic
- Ability to form relationships quickly and have demonstrable persuasive abilities
- Highly effective communicator in English, both orally and in writing; can get ideas across one-on-in, in group settings as well as in presentations
- Exceptional leadership capabilities; ability to motivate. Highly organized with attention to detail
- Strong team player and knows how to collaborate and engage many stakeholders across a large organization
- Solid negotiation and decision making skills
- Good analytical and numerical abilities
- Innovative and pro-active
- Strategic thinking
- Results-oriented attitude
- Resource management and financial skills to control budgets
- Experience in working with MS office in a Windows environment
- Willing to travel within UK and abroad as role requires; valid UK driving licence